1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup The Tree and Vine Lemon Fused Olive Oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 cups or more powdered sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9-inch springform pan with The Tree and Vine Lemon Fused Olive Oil.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until thick and pale yellow. Continuing to beat, slowly pour in sugar, then olive oil. Beat in the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture in 3 batches. Thoroughly combine but do not overmix. Pour into prepared pan. Bake cake until it is golden brown and springs back when pressed in the center, about 35-40 minutes.
- Just before the cake is done, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until a thin glaze forms. Add more powdered sugar or lemon juice to reach a pouring consistency.
- Remove cake from oven and turn on the broiler. Poke small holes into the cake with a toothpick. pour half the glaze over the cake, beginning at the center and working toward the outside. Let cake absorb the glaze, then repeat with the remaining glaze. Allow the cake to rest 5 minutes.
- 7. Broil cake until the glaze just starts to bubble and the top turns golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack, then loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a thin flexible spatula. Remove springform ring and allow the cake to fully cool (about 2 hours) before cutting. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
– Adapted from “Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Italian” (2007)